Sean Warren, Gay Football Player, Comes Out On Social Media

In a telling move of the times that we live in, Sean Warren, a high school football player at Pinnacle High School in Phoenix, Arizona, came out in November in a special way by utilizing social media. The junior football player found inspiration for his coming out from a popular Internet meme, and decided to make his own version of the meme instead.



sean



"I just wanted to come out in a unique way," Warren told Outsports recently. "I was at my friend's house and thought, what if I just Photoshopped a picture of a rainbow behind me? Then I looked at more pictures online and saw the picture I used, which was more retro, it was more of a cartoon. What if I cropped out his face and used my face instead?"



Warren added, "People describe me as a person who doesn't really conform. I wanted to do something different than people just announcing that they're gay. I wanted to come out in my own way, since that's how I feel coming out should be. I wanted to do it in a fun sort of way and so it wasn't awkward."



Overall, the reaction been "universal acceptance" and Warren told OutSports that he wants to help give courage to others to also come out. He also noted that YouTube star Tyler Oakley, "whose videos pushed him to be comfortable with himself," was a huge inspiration for making this bold move.



Warren's coming out is the latest big story in a post-Jason Collins and Michael Sam world. Athletes are now coming out at an increasingly breakneck rate. Most recently, a former Ohio State wrestler and a Kentucky high school basketball player both came out of the closet.







from The Huffington Post | The Full Feed http://ift.tt/1GW0P2X

via IFTTT

Comments

Popular Posts